What is Chiropractic?
Chiropractic is one of the most popular forms of manual therapy practised both in Australia and across the world.
It is a health care profession that offers an evidenced-based, conservative and holistic approach to health care. While being qualified primary care providers, Chiropractors have a focus on neuromusculoskeletal disorders and their effects on general health.
Chiropractic health care is based on ensuring healthy function of the spine and nerves of the body.
The brain controls and regulates every cell of the body. It does this via the spinal cord and spinal nerves. If there are disturbances along this path then the body cannot function at its optimum.
Chiropractors detect and remove these disturbances.
Regular wellness care is like any other form of maintenance: it’s all about keeping the body functioning as best as it can all of the time.
The primary instrument for chiropractic care is the adjustment. This is a high velocity, low amplitude thrust with the intent to correct the movement of a joint. Typically there is no or very little discomfort attached to this procedure but other techniques are available should they be preferred.
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA) www.ahpra.gov.au/
- Chiropractors’ Association of Australia (CAA) chiropractors.asn.au
- Chiropractic and Osteopathic College of Australiasia (COCA) www.coca.com.au/
- Choose Chiropractic www.choosechiro.com.au
- Australian Medical Association – the use of Complementary Medicine ama.com.au/node/2214/
- Wikipedia – chiropractic wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropractic
Kalamunda Wellness Centre Chiropractors
The Chiropractors at KWC are not your average Chiropractors:
- Care is individualised. Frequency of treatment varies depending on you and your health requirements. The schedule is explained and negotiated with you to fit your needs. As a guide, most new patients with an acute condition start at around twice per week for two or three weeks but please understand that this does vary considerably.
- Your initial appointment will be around 30-45 minutes to allow a comprehensive examination and explanation of what your Chiropractor can do to help you restore and maintain a good quality of living.
- Follow-up appointments are scheduled for 15 minutes to give us the time you need to be treated properly. Occasionally we do run late but we endeavor to be punctual.
- We usually give you exercises and other advice so that you can help yourself and see us less often. This is what is known as ‘active care’ – encouraging people to do what they can to care for themselves.
- X-rays are not routinely taken unless the medical history indicates they are required. For more information: http://www.imagingpathways.health.wa.gov.au/includes/index.html
Pregnancy and Chiropractic
Chiropractic care is safe and effective before and during pregnancy. It may help to avoid and reduce pregnancy-related back pain. Our Chiropractors can also help with advice concerning pregnancy.
“Overall, this body of evidence is best described as emergent. However, since effective treatments for pregnancy-related back pain are limited, clinicians may want to consider SMT as a treatment option, if no contraindications are present.”
Source: Khorsan R et al. (2009). Manipulative Therapy for Pregnancy and Related Conditions: A systematic review. Obstetrical & Gynecological Survey. 64(6), 416:427.
“The results suggest that chiropractic treatment was safe in these cases and support the hypothesis that it may be effective for reducing pain intensity.”
Source: Lisi AJ. (2006). Chiropractic Spinal Manipulation for Low Back Pain of Pregnancy: A retrospective case series. Journal of Midwifery & Women’s Health. 51(1), e7-e10.
“Chiropractic evaluation and treatment during pregnancy may be considered a safe and effective means of treating common musculoskeletal symptoms that affect pregnant patients.”
Source: Borggren CL. (2007). Pregnancy and chiropractic: a narrative review of the literature. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine. 6(2), 70:74.
Babies and Chiropractic
Chiropractic care is an exceptionally safe health care option for people of all ages including babies, children and during the full term of pregnancy.
A recent study published in the Journal of Manipulative Physiotherapy that followed 697 children under the age of 3 (73.5% were 12 weeks or younger) receiving 5242 chiropractic treatments concluded that:
“This study shows that for the population studied, chiropractic manipulation produced very few adverse effects and was a safe form of therapy in the treatment of patients in this age group.“
Source: Miller JE, Benfield K. (2008). Adverse Effects of Spinal Manipulative Therapy in Children Younger Than 3 Years: A Retrospective Study in a Chiropractic Teaching Clinic. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapies. 31(6), 419-423.
Why should children and babies in particular be checked by chiropractor?
Anyone who has witnessed a birth (C section or vaginal) would probably have been rather shocked at the way the baby, and in particular the neck, is pushed and pulled. Imagine yourself going through that as an adult!
All of our Chiropractors are very experienced with dealing with babies, young children and pregnant mums. We are always very gentle and listen to any concerns mum (or dad) has. At any point during the consult, there is always the option to opt out.